KASHMIRI MUTTON ROGAN JOSH | THE MOST POPULAR INDIAN MUTTON DISH .
“ Mutton Rogan Josh “ is one of the best Indian mutton curry recipe and preparation, it goes well with Indian breads , rice , pulao. You will find this yummy moody delicious red meat curry on every menu in India mainly in northern part of our country this mutton curry dish is always higher in demand among every non- vegetarian eaters who loves to eat mutton.
Originally mutton rogan josh is famous Kashmiri cuisine and it is one of the most popular and traditional staple mutton dish in Kashmiri food life style in their multi-course WAZWAN meal .
Rogan Josh mean ; Rogan as oil and Josh mean heat , hot , simmering, passionate , Rogan Josh thus means mutton cooked in oil at intense heat .
This classic mutton curry was invented by muslim Mughal in ancient time in India. Mughal brought and introduced this dish in Kashmir valley.
Mutton Rogan Josh consists of pieces of lamb or goat cooked and simmered slowly on fire with reddish gravy flavoured with garlic , ginger and aromatic garam masala cloves, bay leaf, cardamom. mace , fennel, cinnamon, Kashmiri red chillies, Ratan jot root and flowers etc .
INGREDIENTS & QUANTITY [ SERVING 4 GUEST]
- Leg of mutton 500 gm , Tomatoes 120 gm, Coriander powder 10 gm .
- Saltpetre 5 gm , Mutton fat 50 gm, Kashmiri chilli 15 gm - without seeds .
- Ginger 10gm, Garlic 10 gm, Nutmeg 5 gm , Saffron a pich .
- Cumin 5gm, Mace 5 gm , Onion 150 gm , Rattan Jot 10gm.
METHOD & PREPARATION :
- Clean and cut mutton into 2.5 cm approx one inch with bones .
- Chop onions, grind Kashmiri red chilli, coriander, ginger, cumin, garlic.
- Heat fat . Fry onion , add ground spices and fry well for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, add mutton pieces, saffron, saltpetre & rattan Jot .
- Keep on frying on high flame for 10 minutes. Add mutton stock , nutmeg, mace . Salt and curd .
- Cook on slow fire about 25 minutes till mutton pieces get tender .
- When meat is cooked and gravy leaves rogan oil from side finally add dissolved saffron with milk .
- Garnish with coriander leaves & julienne of ginger and spoon few drops of rogan oil on top
- Serve hot with parantha, naan or pulao, plain rice .